A therapeutic approach to addiction treatment emphasizes the significance of identifying the underlying causes of your substance abuse. For many individuals, an undiagnosed mental illness or poor mental health is a strong contributing factor to their addiction. Finding an addiction treatment facility that takes a therapeutic approach to treatment can ensure that you can fully heal mentally and emotionally. The mental side effects of addiction can often be overlooked because detox and withdrawal are extremely taxing on the body. However, for an individual to build a solid foundation for their recovery, they need to address their mental health.
At Evoke Wellness at Hilliard, we provide evidence-based treatments to help our patients heal physically and mentally. We understand how drastically addiction impacts the mind, body, and soul. Our goal is to provide patients with the best possible experience to help them progress in their recovery and achieve their goals. We provide several addiction therapy programs, including a dialectical behavior therapy program to ensure we meet their specific needs and concerns. Learn more by calling us at 866.430.9267.
Understanding a Dialectical Behavior Therapy Program
In a dialectical behavior therapy program, patients learn how to cope with their emotions and develop healthy techniques to sustain their ongoing recovery. Instead of avoiding or denying negative emotions, patients focus on validating and accepting these uncomfortable feelings. A dialectical behavior therapy program takes a comprehensive approach that focuses on learning new skills to alter unhelpful thoughts and behaviors.
Some of the techniques used in a dialectical behavior therapy program are:
- Mindfulness—Patients learn to be more present and bring awareness to the moment. Taking the time to acknowledge your thoughts, feelings, and reactions can help individuals slow down and focus on healthy ways to get through pain or discomfort.
- Emotional regulation—This DBT technique emphasizes identifying, naming, and changing the negative impacts of an emotional response. Therapists help patients recognize and cope with their uncomfortable emotions to create an opposite reaction. This helps patients have more positive emotional experiences.
- Distress tolerance—Patients learn to experience and accept their negative feelings. If they encounter a stressful situation or crisis in the future, they will have learned coping skills that help them have a more positive outlook and perspective.
- Interpersonal effectiveness—This technique helps patients learn how to repair, maintain, and establish healthy relationships. It is not uncommon for those struggling with addiction to isolate themselves or ruin their relationships with their loved ones. Patients understand how they can communicate their boundaries and needs effectively.
If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, seek treatment as soon as possible. Repairing and improving their mental health is critical for patients to heal and create a better mindset.
The Benefits of a DBT Therapy Program
Many people may not know what a DBT therapy program is or what to expect. There are many benefits and advantages to participating in a dialectical behavior therapy program. Mental health is vital not just for recovery but for living a healthy and happy life.
Some of the benefits of a DBT therapy program are:
- Understanding your thoughts and feelings when you abused substances
- Identifying what causes your negative thoughts
- Learning what your triggers are
- Developing healthy coping mechanisms to cope with triggers or stress
- Gaining a better perspective on yourself and what insights your addiction
The negative side effects of addiction can be severe and should be taken seriously. When individuals struggle with substance abuse, their mental health is often neglected. A DBT therapy program for addiction works to help patients create a healthier mindset that allows them to make positive changes and form good habits.
Learn More About Dialectical Behavior Therapy in Columbus, OH, at Evoke Wellness at Hilliard
Our dialectical behavior therapy in Columbus, OH, is a therapy option that can help patients gain a better understanding of their emotions and how to regulate them. To learn more about how our team can help you or your loved one, contact Evoke Wellness at Hilliard at 866.430.9267 or via our online form.