Anxiety disorders make up a majority of the mental health conditions experienced by Americans. About 20%, or upwards of 40 million adults, have one of the several kinds of anxiety disorder. That does not include children, among whom the frequency of anxiety is about seven percent. Anxiety can wreak havoc on someone’s ability to navigate daily life. If managing anxiety has become increasingly difficult for you or someone you love, look into Columbus anxiety treatment at Evoke Wellness Ohio.
Whether anxiety co-occurs with a substance use disorder or not, the risks and challenges of leaving it untreated are hardly worth it. You deserve to live freely, unencumbered by feeling anxious, unable to do the things you dream of, exhausted by simple everyday tasks and minor challenges. Reach out to Evoke Wellness today to learn more about how we can help. Simply call 866.430.9267 or use our online form to connect with us.
Types of Anxiety
Many people experience worry and stress as part of normal life, and they do not have an anxiety disorder. Anxiety disorders feel like heavy stress and intense worry. Still, there is no clear cause, or the trigger seems so ordinary and minor to casual onlookers that they become confused by the discrepancy between the reaction and the presumed cause. Anxiety is not a typical response to normal everyday stimuli.
There are many types of anxiety, and all are treatable. They can be managed by medication, therapy, or both in combination. There are also strategies you can use to manage anxiety day to day. If you have an anxiety disorder, you know that it feels as if it has control, not you. That does not have to be the case.
Some forms of anxiety include:
- Social anxiety
- Panic disorder
- Generalized anxiety
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Agoraphobia and other phobias
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Separation anxiety
If you believe you have one or more of those conditions, seek help. You do not have to struggle. There are solutions.
Helpful Tips for Managing Anxiety
Most professionals, physicians, and therapists agree that the best way to get an anxiety disorder under control is to seek professional treatment. However, there are lifestyle choices and strategies that many people who suffer from anxiety utilize throughout life for managing anxiety.
Some helpful tips are listed below:
- Prioritize your sleep hygiene – Regular sleep for enough hours per night may vary among individuals, but poor sleep habits will exacerbate anxiety.
- Get exercise – This does not have to mean rigid gym schedules or running marathons, but a regular habit of physical activity every day will help with mental and physical health.
- Avoid caffeine, cigarettes, alcohol, and recreational drugs – All of these can make anxiety worse, and dependence on alcohol and drugs can lead to addiction. A clean, healthy diet will support your mental health.
- Use mindfulness relaxation techniques – If you have an anxiety disorder, you are an excellent candidate for meditation, visualization, yoga, and other practices that lower the reactivity of body and mind.
- Avoid triggers – Keep track of things that, for you, are triggers. If might be something like running late, so create a habit of leaving a little early. Maybe it’s crowded places or going to the doctor. Your triggers may be anything at all, but once you identify them, you can either avoid them or, if they cannot be avoided entirely, develop strategies for minimizing the stress in each situation.
- Avoid social isolation – Seek out supportive friends and family for regular interactions. Isolation and loneliness can make anxiety symptoms worse.
Discuss strategies for managing anxiety with your mental healthcare provider and discuss treatment options.
Call Evoke Wellness Ohio to Learn about Anxiety Treatment Today
Are you tired of feeling anxious every day and never knowing when it will strike, where it’s coming from, or how bad it will get? You do not have to suffer the surges of stress hormones, the uncertainty, the cold sweats, and the racing thoughts. Let Evoke Wellness help you get a handle on your anxiety. Reach out today by completing this online form or calling us at 866.430.9267. You deserve to live your life free of anxiety.