Many people associate addiction with abusing drugs or alcohol. People often expect those struggling with addiction to have physical dependence and experience withdrawal symptoms when they stop using. However, addiction can come in various forms. Individuals can experience a process or behavioral addiction where they have the compulsion to engage in a specific behavior or activity despite its negative consequences. A process addiction can also significantly impact a person’s life. It can even affect their physical and mental health. While not as widely discussed as substance addictions, process addictions can also take over an individual’s life and require treatment.
At Evoke Wellness Ohio, we provide evidence-based therapy programs for a variety of addictions. Our goal is to assist patients through recovery and promote lasting wellness. Regardless of your type of process addiction, our team can help you better understand your addiction and develop healthy coping practices to maintain lifelong recovery. If you are struggling, do not wait to receive process addiction treatment and get back the life you want. Call 866.430.9267 to learn more.
What Is a Process Addiction?
If you are only familiar with drug or alcohol addiction, you may be asking, “what is a process addiction?” Process addictions are compulsive in nature, and the individual feels an uncontrollable urge to engage in a particular activity or behavior. Even though the behavior has negative consequences on their life, the individual feels unable to stop. However, they continue because it feels psychologically rewarding, and they may experience a “high.” Those struggling often have feelings of guilt or remorse because of their compulsive behavior. Unfortunately, because not many people know about or understand process addictions, those struggling can deal with their addiction for a long time without receiving treatment.
The Different Types of Process Addictions
A process addiction is a serious condition with negative consequences. There are a variety of process addictions that men and women can face. Despite the severe impacts on their quality of life, individuals have the compulsion to continue engaging in the behavior or activity.
Some common types of process addictions are:
- Gambling addiction – This involves an uncontrollable desire to gamble despite negative financial, emotional, and interpersonal impacts. Individuals may play the lottery, bet on horses, or gamble at a casino.
- Shopping addiction – This type of process addiction involves a compulsive spending problem. The person afflicted has an excessive and impulsive need to shop that is out of control. Individuals often feel guilty or remorseful after a significant shopping spree, so they tend to be secretive about their shopping habits.
- Sex and love addiction – This disorder is related to intimacy. Sex addiction is the compulsive desire to obtain sexual arousal and a fixation on sexual activities. Love addiction is a dysfunctional urge to pursue romantic love and satisfaction.
- Exercise addiction – While exercising is good for you, those with an exercise addiction have an unhealthy obsession with health, fitness, and exercise.
- Food addiction – This can be a process addiction or an eating disorder. It occurs when an individual cannot stop eating despite negative consequences, like unhealthy weight gain or health complications.
- Gaming addiction – This involves a pattern of gaming with a lack of impulse control. Those with a gaming addiction feel the need to continue gaming despite severe impacts on their physical, mental, and emotional health.
It is not uncommon for individuals to enjoy and partake in activities like gambling, shopping, or gaming. However, individuals with an addiction spend an excessive amount of time thinking about or participating in the activity.
Learn More About Process Addiction Treatment at Evoke Wellness Ohio
Help and treatment are available for individuals struggling with addiction. At Evoke Wellness Ohio, we provide treatment for various types of process addictions. We offer many therapies to help patients get to the root of their compulsions and learn how to reframe negative thoughts and behaviors. To learn more about process addiction treatment, contact Evoke Wellness Ohio at 866.430.9267 or through our online form.